In 1954, in recognition of its outstanding peacetime and wartime service since its formation in 1925, 601 (County of London) Squadron was presented with a Standard by its Honorary Air Commodore, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. In 1957, the Squadron was disbanded, and in 1961 the Standard was laid up in St Clement Danes Church.
The Squadron reformed in 2017, and, on 21st July 2022, the Squadron was presented with a new Standard at a Service held at the Royal Air Force Museum which was lead by the Chaplain in Chief, The Reverend Doctor (Air Vice-Marshal) Giles Legood. The Standard was presented by the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Mike Wigston, to Squadron Leader Andrew Burnett of 601 Squadron with the Squadron’s Commanding Officer, Air Vice-Marshal Malcolm Brecht, standing alongside. It was then paraded with the Queen’s Colour Squadron in slow time, quick time and with an advance in review order. Music was provided by the Central Band of the Royal Air Force.
Attendees included 601 Squadron’s Honorary Air Commodore, Air Chief Marshal Sir Glen Torpy, along with many of the Squadron’s Honorary Group Captains, volunteer regular reservists, affiliates and alumni. There were also representatives from, inter alia, the Royal Air Force, the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, the Royal Auxiliary Air Force Foundation, the Air Training Corps the Royal Air Force Museum and local civic dignitaries.
Following the parade, there was a reception for all attendees in the splendid surroundings of the RAF Museum. The Chief of the Air Staff gave a short address as did the the Chief Executive Officer of the RAF Museum and the Squadron Commander.
The Royal Air Force News feature on the event can be seen here.